During the last 2 years I have been busy working on so many projects, therefore I didn’t find the quite moments or energy to feed this blog on a constant base. But I’ve found another way to share my old and new work frequently. Please, check it out and follow me on Instagram! I would be happy to see you there too :).
Please visit my website: www.rafaelkoller.ch
I am working at the moment more than 100% that’s why it’s hard to find time and motivation to post here. But there are some new projects waiting to be published here :). One of them is this poster for another Treibhaus concert.
I am not gonna write a lot about it just that i took me quite long to finish it. The work was sometimes a bit frustrating and I have somehow mixed feelings about the outcome. Anyway, I don’t want to withhold the workflow and the result. First step: Making sketches. This helps to generate ideas and I used some of them for creating a suitable composition later on.
The drawing was made with pencil on a 50 x 70 cm carton. I prefer thick paper/carton because it allows to draw roughly and it will stay even.
The rest is told quickly. I needed to scan the drawing and colorized it with photoshop…sounds easy but was quite difficult in this case! Hope you like it. 🙂
Sometimes I get my inspiration from my own artworks. In this case I was absolutely fascinated by the choughs in my latest concert poster for Monophona (latest blog entry). Firstly I wanted to embed a swarm of Yellow Billed Choughs into a mountain landscape. Later in process I decided to leave the background blank in order to set the focus only onto the flock of birds. The original artwork was drawn quite spontaneous and without a clear concept. After a rough pencil pre-drawing I finished it with ink and watercolor. The digital version was edited a bit differently as always. I hope you like it :).
Inspiration and detail view of the concert poster:
There is an other artwork I made for the concert location Treibhaus earlier this year. It was a bit frustrating as it wasn’t published yet. The promoter told me just days after handing in the artwork that the concert was canceled. Anyway, I don’t want you to miss it an therefore it’s published here 🙂
Sometimes it’s quite hard to blog all the time. Especially in summer time when you don’t want to spent too much time in front of the screen. I have finished a painting today which was sketched and presented here some months ago.
The draft (second picture below) was basically a digital colored pencil drawing. The digital coloring is an easy way to choose and change colors during the conception of the image and allowed to work fast besides. The final piece exists as an original painting and as a hybrid painting as well. It’s quite often the case that the quality of an analogue made painting is lost during the digitalization and needs to be edited in order to get a decent result. Therefore there are small differences between the analogue and the digital version, which I see as a positive result. Well, what have I done. I’m using quite often thick paper with a format of 50x70cm. The sturdiness allows me to work quite rough. I stopped making a pre-drawing, which was traced later on. Instead I am starting with the final piece right away. Mostly I use very soft and dark pencils and use a lot of pressure when needed. I kinda like the sketchy character, which is created with this kind of workflow. The rest is quite obvious. It needs to be colored with watercolor in order to preserve the pencil lines. As I already said it’s quite difficult to transfer certain original into a digital version. Therefore I use photoshop to bring back the brightness and richness of the colors, which were lost during the transformation.
And there is something else to be mentioned. I learnt over the years to use a sketch as a part of a process. The final piece doesn’t need to be a complete copy of the draft. In this case I decided during the coloring process not to paint the water (like in the sketch) but leaving it blank. I also decided not to use the title on the drawing itself. Well, I hope you like it and hopefully I’ll blog more often in the future.
Detail of the final piece:
Sometimes it’s not easy to create an illustration, even though I’m already quite experienced. It can happen that I feel absolutely uncreative or that the drawing doesn’t come out well (technical issues). In this specific case i had both problems at the same time and that was a big problem! Especially when it is a commissional work with a certain deadline. Then it’s important to make the best out of the current situation. In this case I am happy that i could finish the work but I am totally unhappy with the result. Maybe it’s just me but when I look at the finished Illustration I see many things which I’d like to change afterwards. One thing that bothers me the most is the quality of the scan. The original watercolor painting looks quite decent but the digitalized version was and is just crap (sorry for the strong expression ;)). Normally it’s not a big deal to bring back the brightness of the colors which was lost during the scanning process. But this time it didn’t work out and that’s why I’m quite frustrated. Anyway… let’s stop moaning. I hope you like it anyway.